Internationale Gemeinschaft für Labyrinthfische e.V.

Telefon: +49 152 28868116 | E-Mail: gf@igl-home.de

Benachrichtigungen
Alles löschen

Opercularis spechti (black paradise fish)

9 Beiträge
2 Benutzer
0 Likes
5,621 Ansichten
(@biulu)
Trusted Member
Beigetreten: Vor 9 Jahren
Themenstarter  

Today I obtained several juveniles of above mentioned fish. Does anybody have experience with it and can give me some information?

Zitat
(@constantin)
Honorable Member
Beigetreten: Vor 13 Jahren

Hello!

For some basic information, I responded to your post here.
Macropodus spechti are generally easy to keep if they have enough space and cover. With some light from the side, especially sunlight, their colors are quite a sight! You will like them.

Best regards,
Constantin

IGL 049

AntwortZitat
(@biulu)
Trusted Member
Themenstarter  

One of my juveniles:

DSC04430 by Biulu, on Flickr

AntwortZitat
(@constantin)
Honorable Member

They seem to colour up already. I can't see the ventrals, but they should begin to become orange or even red. Is there really light blue in the anal fin or is it just a reflection?

Let me clarify one thing. The (currently) correct scientific name is Macropodus spechti. There is some argument because several, but not all wild populations of the Black Paradise Fish resemble Macropodus opercularis closely in general bodyshape. Maybe there are some anatomical differences which have either been overlooked or didn't become widely known. Paradise fish nerds try to find out, but for now just keep in mind that the Black Paradise Fish is officially regarded as a species on its own.

IGL 049

AntwortZitat
(@biulu)
Trusted Member
Themenstarter  

Yes, depending upon the light there is a green or blue reflection in both tail and caudal fin. They are currently around 6 months old and I have tried the 'light' method (like with trichopsis species) to see if I could see any ovaries but nothing.... So, either it doesn't work, or I have all males.

I know now that the species is called Macropodus spechti and used to be called Macropodus concolor 'spechti' but when I got it, it was sold under the name I used in the title. But thanks for the clarification!

AntwortZitat
(@constantin)
Honorable Member

I can hardly wait to see them as adults! Depending on some major factors, they may continue to develop and mature well into their second year. And yes, skewed sex ratios aren't rare in Macropodus breeding, especially with only a few fry from a spawn raised.

I am happy to hear you know the correct nomenclature, but it is annoying how long wrong labelings persist. That doesn't make things easier for the seriuous enthusiast and also for science.

IGL 049

AntwortZitat
(@biulu)
Trusted Member
Themenstarter  

I am not in a hurry but I was told that I could have the pair (parents) from my offspring. At the time I do not have space for these extra fish but when I am still not sure around April/May next year I will probably go for it!

AntwortZitat
(@constantin)
Honorable Member

It's good to hear that! When springtime and early summer arrive, things get easier for Macropodus keepers as all species can be kept outside with little care requirements until fall. Best wishes!

IGL 049

AntwortZitat
(@biulu)
Trusted Member
Themenstarter  

That is exactly what I am thinking of doing! I have a 20 gallon 'barrel' pond that I want to use for a pair.

AntwortZitat
Teilen: